Department of Geography, Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia
Mail Emb. Moika 48, Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation, 191186
E-mail : ;
Phone : +7-921-3785532
- Academic degree: 1993 – Ph.D. (Geography), Institute of Limnology, St.Petersburg, PhD. Thesis: « Sedimentation processes in lakes of the Eastern European Lowland (NW Russia) as indicators of their evolution in the Late Pleistocene and Holocene ».
- Second (Professor’s) academic degree: 2003 – (Geography), Institute of Limnology, St.Petersburg Thesis title: “Lacustrine sedimentogenesis in the European Part of Russia during the Late Pleistocene and Holocene”.
- Institute of Limnology, RussianAcademy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, Russia (1982-2006)
- Leading research scientist and Head of the Palaeolimnology Group (2001 – 2006);
- Novgorod State University, Velikiy Novgorod, Russia: Professor of the Department of Geography and Geology (2004-2013);
- North Water Problems Institute of the Karelian Research Center of Russian Academy of Sciences, Petrozavodsk, Republic of Karelia, Russia: Director (2013-2018), leader scientist (2018 – up to now)
- Alexander Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia, St.Petersburg, Russia: Professor of the Department of Physical Geography and Environment (2006-2018), Dean of the Faculty of Geography (2018 – up to now)
It was analyzed and generalized the current data on the level of paleolimnological knowledge about lakes in the Russian part of northern Eurasia (Subetto et al., 2017). The results of studies of the northwestern European part of Russia as the best paleolimnologically known sector of the Russian north have been considered in detail. The conditions of lacustrine sedimentation at the boundary between the Late Pleistocene and Holocene and the role of different external factors in the formation of their chemical composition, including factors such as active volcanic activity and possible large meteorite impacts (Andronikov et al., 2014; Druzhinina et al., 2016), are also discussed in detail. It have been reconstructed paleobasins in the north of the Russian Plain (Larsen et al., 2013; Lyså et al., 2014). It have been reconstructed using the GIS-technology and data about stratigraphy lake sediments the stages of Lake Onego development in the Late Glacial time (Zobkov et al., 2017; Subetto et al., 2917; Gurbich et al., 2017). The results of major paleoclimatic and paleoecological reconstructions in northern Siberia are given (Biskaborn et al., 2016; Schleusner et al., 2015; Nazarova et al., 2013; Syrykh et al., 2017; Subetto et al., 2017). Particular attention is paid to the databases of abiotic and biotic parameters of lake ecosystems as an important basis for quantitative reconstructions of climatic and ecological changes in the Late Pleistocene and Holocene (Sundqvist et al., 2014; Lappalainen et al., 2016). On the base of paleolimnological reconstructions the sea-level changes during the Holocene have been reconstructed to the Balrtic Sea (the Gulf of Finland) and the White Sea (e.g. Rosentau et al., 2013; Repkina et al., 2018).
Area of expertise
lake sedimentation processes, lithology, palaeolimnology, palaeogeography, palaeoclimatology, geoecology, marine geology, Quaternary geology. Long-term study of the sediments from the largest Lakes Ladoga and Onega, other lakes in the North-Western Russia and throughout the Former Soviet Union in Kazakhstan, Yakutiya, Narjan-Mar (Bolshezemelskaya tundra), Urengoy (West Siberian Plato), the Ural Region, Yakutia, Ukraina, Karelia, as well as in Sweden and Finland.
- Swedish-Russian project: “Lake-Level Data Base from the Former Soviet Union”. Working Group Member (1994-1996)
- Finnish-Russian project: “Baltic sea-level changes in the Baltic basin during the last 8000 years”. The coordinator of the Russian Group (1996-1997)
- Research project “Modern dynamic of limnological systems of the South Karelia and palaeoclimate reconstruction of Holocene” sponsored by Federal Center “Integration” of the Russian Federation (MO 256-1, 1999-2001). A head of the project.
- Swedish-Russian project: “Reconstruction of environmental and climatic changes in NW Russia and around the Baltic during the last 15,000 years”. The coordinator of the St.Petersburg Group (from 1997-2000).
- Tacis Cross-Border Finnish-Russian Co-operation Small Project Facility TSP40/97: « Development and implementation of an integrated programme for environmental monitoring of Lake Ladoga: protection and sustainable use of aquatic resources (DIMPLA) ». Working Group member (1997-2000).
- Swedish-Russian project: “Reconstruction of climatic and environmental changes around the Baltic Basin during the Late Quaternary and the Holocene”. The coordinator of the St.Petersburg Group (2001-2004).
- INTAS project 03-51-4269 “Waterways and Early Human Movements in North-Western Russia“. The Team leader of the Paleolimnolgy group (2004-2006).
- German-Russian project: “Limnology and Palaeolimnology of the Central Yakutia” 2003-up to now
- German-Russian project PLOT (Paleolimnological Transect) 2013-2018
Russian Science Foundation
- 18-17-00176 « Palaeolimnology of Lake Onego: stratigraphy, processes of sedimentation and transformation lake sediments. From stage of Ice Lake to modern stage » (2018-2020) PI
- 14-17-00766 « Lake Onego and its watershed: geological history, anthropogenic transformation and current state » (2014-2016) PI
- Russian Fund of the Basic Research
- Publishing of monography: « Bottom lake sediments: paleolimnological reconstructions ». 09-05-07081-д (PI)2009;
- Evolution of the Baltic Sea and the Stages of the Early Human Colonization of the Southern-Eastern Baltic Area 09-06-00150 (participant) 2009-2011;
- The time-scale variability of climate over the Lateglacial/Holocene (the last 10000-13000 years): The possible causes and mechanisms 10-05-00412 (participant);
- Evolution of the White Sea region environment during the Late Pleistocеne and Holocene. 10-05-00651 (PI) 2010-2012;
- Paleogeography of the Late Pleistocene and Holocene of Bolshoe Tokko Lake (Stanovoj Ridge) according to paleobotanical and geochemical data. 12-05-98546 (participant) 2012-2013;
- Geoarchaeology of Karelian Isthmus. 12-06-00348 (participant) 2012-2013;
- Water-level dynamic of the eastern and south-eastern marginal water basins of the Baltic crystalline shield during the Late Pleistocene and Holocene. 13-05-01039 (PI) 2013-2015;
- Natural disasters during the Late Pleistocene and Holocene: paleogeographical diagnosis. 13-05-41457 (PI) 2013-2015;
- Paleoecological researches of Holocene History of lakes in Indigirka River Basin. 15-45-05063 (participant) 2015-2017;
- History of development of the peat ecosystem of the delta lowland of the River Neman during the Holocene.15-35-50451 (PI) 2015-2015;
- Reconstruction of paleoecological conditions of boreal lakes during the late- and postglacial period on the base of Cladocera analyses of the bottom sediments of lakes16-35-50067 (PI) 2016-2016;
- Sudden drastic transformation of the hydrographic network and landscapes during the Holocene in the South-East of the Baltic Shield (paleohydrological and geodynamic aspects) 16-05-00727 (PI) 2016-2018;
- Inter-regional spatial and temporal correlation of the environmental development on southern periphery of the Valdai (Poozerie) glaciation in the Late Glacial and Holocene 18-55-00008 (PI) 2018-2019;
- Paleolimnological aspect of study of ecosystem evolution of alpine Russian and Armenian lakes 18-55-05008 Arm_a (participant) 2018-2019;
- Project of the organising of Conference « Paleolimnology of Northern Eurasia: experience, methodology, current status and young scientists school in microscopy skills in paleolimnology » Kazan 2018. 18-05-20085_г 2018;
- The structure of the upper part of the Quaternary sediments and the paleogeography of the bottom landscapes in the big lake along the eastern periphery of the Baltic crystalline shield in the Late Quaternary 18-05-00303_a (participant) (2019-2020).
- Apart from these grants, I have obtained financial support from the Ministers of Nordic Countries via the Nordic Grant Scheme (# 1999-2783-4) for the organization of the International Workshop “Climate and Environment during the Last Deglaciation and the Holocene in NW Russia and around the Baltic”, March, 28th – April, 2nd 2001, St.Petersburg Russia. (see Subetto et al., 2001. PAGES News. Vol. 9, N 3. P. 16).
paleolimnology, lake sediments, paleogeography, Quaternary geology, marine geology